★ NEST is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No Member is responsible for NEST’s privacy practices.
★ Each Member is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No Member is responsible for another Member’s privacy practices. Also, NEST is not responsible for any Member’s privacy practices.
- Information that NEST collects from you (including Personal Information)
- Cookies and Tracking Technologies on the NEST Site
- How your information is used
- How your information is shared
- How to manage your Personal Information
- Storage & Security
- Contact information
INFORMATION THAT NEST COLLECTS FROM YOU (INCLUDING PERSONAL INFORMATION)
NEST directly collects information when you:
- sign up for an NEST user account and create an NEST user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service (for example, Verified Certificates);
- send email messages to NEST (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the NEST Site.
NEST also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the NEST Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies.
NEST does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the NEST Site, for example a Verified Certificate, you will be directed to NEST’s third-party payment processor and NEST’s third-party ID verification service provider. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, then you will not be able to obtain a certificate via the NEST Site.
NEST requires your Personal Information only in limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for an NEST user account (name, username, email address);
- purchase a Verified Certificate (so that NEST’s third-party vendor can authenticate your identity) or other product or service (so that NEST’s third-party vendor can process payment);
- participate in remote proctoring or other course facilitation processes (so that NEST’s third-party vendor can monitor and assess the integrity of your course activity); or
- earn a Verified Certificate (the certificate will have your name on it).
To the extent that NEST associates the information that NEST collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the NEST Site, for example:
- in your NEST account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other NEST Site users);
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the NEST Site (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the NEST Site or a course).
NEST encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the NEST Site. (If you later choose to delete your NEST account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.)
Members do not receive your Personal Information unless and until you enroll in a course. If you enroll in a course, the Member that offers the course will receive Personal Information from your NEST account profile plus the information that NEST collects about your activity and performance in the course in which you enrolled.
COOKIES AND TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES ON THE NEST SITE
- based on your cookie settings, NEST tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the NEST Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- NEST may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use NEST native mobile apps) you used when accessing the NEST Site, and NEST may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- NEST may track and collect information from emails that NEST sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
NEST also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the NEST Site, how you interact with NEST’s social media, and how you find or may be referred to the NEST Site. Individual Members may separately use Tracking Technologies within their courses and email communications to understand your activity within a course and how you find or may be referred to a course on the NEST Site.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the NEST Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the NEST Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help NEST and Members gather information about how visitors use the NEST Site and monitor NEST Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the NEST Site before and may have any personal preferences; and
- to support marketing by enabling NEST and Members to deliver content relevant to your interests on the NEST Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with NEST or Member advertisements or content. NEST and Members use “first-party” cookies, which means cookies served by NEST or an individual Member, and also “third-party” cookies, which means cookies served by third parties that help NEST and Members track this information.
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include:
- Modifying your browser settings: You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject NEST’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the NEST Site may not work properly.
- Opting-out of certain third-party tracking and advertising: Some of the third parties used by NEST or a Member for Cookies and Tracking Technologies offer the ability to opt-out from their tracking by following processes described on their websites.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
NEST and Members use information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the NEST Site – This includes creating and improving features that support the NEST community and enable NEST Site usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the NEST Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses – This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on NEST. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the NEST Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the NEST Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase or obtain products and services on the NEST Site such as Verified Certificates.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the NEST Site – This includes tracking NEST Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the NEST Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and NEST Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of NEST or NEST affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
- Track NEST Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of NEST, Members, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
NEST or a Member may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
NEST and Members share information, including Personal Information, with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the NEST Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the NEST Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, NEST and each Member that offers a course in which you enrolled may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
- With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your Verified Certificate or course participation, NEST will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
NEST or a Member may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, NEST or a Member may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.
HOW TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can manage your Personal Information through learner features on the NEST Site and requests to the NEST learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, NEST learner support will notify and coordinate with the appropriate Member to address your request. NEST will provide support to the extent required by applicable law (for example, learners in the European Union) and more broadly when possible, as a courtesy in our sole discretion. NEST will notify you in the event that NEST is unable to meet a request that is not legally required. Similarly, Members will only be obligated to comply with requests to the extent legally required, but may choose to comply with other requests in their sole discretion.
Access and correct your Personal Information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your NEST account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your NEST account except as noted below. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled and includes links to any Verified Certificates you may have earned. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses. Please contact NEST learner support to access and update this or other information. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, NEST learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request.
- Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is an NEST system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the NEST Site, NEST encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username. If you want to protect your identity, do not use your real name or a name identifiable to you as your username.
- NEST does not track or index every time or every place on the NEST Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither NEST nor Members will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. NEST encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the NEST Site.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
If you want to manage emails and other communications to you, you may update your preferences in your NEST account dashboard, follow the steps described in links at the bottom of email messages, or contact NEST learner support. You may object to, or request that NEST or a Member stop, its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the NEST learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, NEST learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request. Please note that if you choose to restrict NEST’s or a Member’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the NEST Site, you may not be able to establish an NEST user account or enroll for a course, and NEST or a Member may not be able to provide you with those services or products.
Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your NEST account and Personal Information, you should click the button labeled “Delete my account” in your NEST account settings. Because deletion on the NEST system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, NEST may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the NEST account affected by your request.
With respect to your NEST account, NEST will permanently:
- deactivate your NEST account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from NEST email lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, NEST will permanently delete your NEST account profile Personal Information from the NEST Site.
As noted above, to the extent that NEST associates the information that NEST collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your NEST account profile. By erasing the Personal Information in your NEST account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the NEST Site will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below.
These changes will be applied to data stores that are used for operation of the NEST Site including course administration by Members. If you enrolled in any courses on the NEST Site, the NEST learner support team will share your request with the Members that offered those courses.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the NEST system.
- NEST does not track or index every time or every place on the NEST Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither NEST nor Members will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. NEST encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the NEST Site.
- NEST will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives are used to produce encrypted research data packages for Members, and Personal Information may not be deleted from research data packages retained by Members.
- NEST and each applicable Member cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, records relating to previous purchases on the NEST Site must be retained for financial reporting, audit, and compliance reasons.
- NEST and each Member will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
NEST will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with NEST’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. If you enroll in a Member’s course, such Member will also retain your Personal Information for as long as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. Upon your request that NEST deactivate your account and delete your information, NEST will follow the process described above, including without limitation archiving your course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives will be used to produce encrypted research data packages for Members, and each such Member may also keep and use course data for scientific research.
STORAGE & SECURITY
NEST stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and also on servers of companies that NEST hires to provide services. Each Member also stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and/or on servers of companies that the Member hires to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in the United States and in other countries where NEST or a Member operates, and in countries where NEST and each Member’s respective service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that NEST and each Member may transfer, process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
NEST controls its own copy of information collected through the NEST Site and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. NEST uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, NEST cannot guarantee its absolute security. While NEST works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, NEST cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If NEST learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, NEST may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the NEST Site or providing Personal Information to NEST, you agree that NEST can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the NEST Site. If a security systems breach occurs, NEST may post a notice on the NEST homepage (www.nest.emfundi.com) or elsewhere on the NEST Site and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your NEST account. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If a Member learns of a security breach involving that Member’s copy of your Personal Information, the Member may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By enrolling in a Member’s course on the NEST Site or providing Personal Information to the Member, you agree that the Member can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your course enrollment and participation. If a security systems breach occurs, the affected Member may post a notice on the NEST site and/or send an email to you at the email address associated with your enrollment in the Member’s course on the NEST Site. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that NEST maintains about you, please contact us at email@example.com.
Cookies are unique identifiers usually in the form of small data files placed on your device that send certain information about your activity on the NEST Site or in an email communication back to NEST or the authorized third party that served the cookie. NEST or third parties may also use Flash cookies.
NEST Site consists of all content and pages located within the www.nest.emfundi.com web domain and all NEST mobile applications.
Member is each educational institution or other leading global institution or entity that provides courses through the NEST Site.
Personal Information is information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
Tracking Technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
Verified Certificate is a virtual certificate that shows that you have successfully completed your NEST course or program and verified your identity using your webcam and your acceptable form of photo ID.
June 1, 2020